For some inscrutable reason, #icecreamfloat is perched atop national Twitter trends this morning. We’re not sure why, but it does give us the perfect opportunity to get all listy with the Coachella Valley’s best spots for grabbing a frosty ice cream float. With temperatures set to hit 117 over the weekend, settle in and hit one of these Desert Sun staff recommended spots for some high-calorie cooling off:
1. Tyler’s: The root beer floats at this seasonal restaurant are almost as highly-sought as the burgers, says local reporter Dave Nyczeper. $5. (149 S. Indian Canyon Drive, Palm Springs | cash only | closed Sundays)
2. Palm Greens Cafe: No surprise that this fave healthy eats joint features a float chock full of organic ingredients and a soy ice cream option. (611 S. Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs)
3. A&W Restaurant: Okay, so it’s technically not in the valley, but it’s kind of hard for this long-time root beer maker to do a float wrong. Definitely worth the trip, says Desert Sun golf columnist Larry Bohannan. (49030 Seminole Drive, Cabazon)
4. Woody’s Burgers: Pair yours with a burger and onion rings, then pop a couple aspirin for good measure. (317 N. Indian Canyon, Palm Springs)
5. SHAKE IT! Entertainment reporter/columnist Bruce Fessier is one of a handful of staffers who turned up his nose at the idea of an ice cream float in favor of a shake. Fessier says his guilty pleasure is Sonic’s strawberry shake. Johnny Rockets, Ruby’s Diner and a score of other local spots also shake it up. We think all are trumped, though, by the date shake at Shields Date Garden.
Shout outs to staffers Sherry Barkas and Tatiana Sanchez, who are so legit they prefer their own home-made floats. #keepingitreal
Did we leave out your favorite float maker? Let us know in the comments section below…