Same-sex marriage in Riverside County: How-to apply for a marriage license

June 26th, 2013 | by Liz Kelly Nelson | Comments


UPDATED Friday, June 28

Now that the Supreme Court has cleared the way for California to resume same-sex marriages, many couples who have been waiting to tie the knot will be wondering how to proceed.

We’ve got the 411.

Q: When can same-sex couples get married?

Counties can begin issuing licenses immediately now that the 9th Circuit Court has lifted the stay on an injunction that ordered state officials to stop enforcing Proposition 8.

On Thursday (June 27), Riverside County clerk Monica Morales told the Desert Sun that they weren’t accepting license applications yet, but would as soon as the state gives the go ahead. The process, she says, will be the same as it is for heterosexual couples.

Q: Where do I get an application? 

County Administrative Center, 82675 Highway 111, Indio

(Note: This is not the courthouse; it’s to the west of the Larson Justice Center.)

Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday

Cost: $90 for a regular marriage license, $100 for a confidential marriage license. Ceremonies are $75 if performed Monday-Friday and $113 on Saturday.

The couple must appear together with a valid, governmental issued photo I.D., and must be at least 18 years old. If you have had a divorce or a state registered domestic partnership within 90 days, you must bring in your final divorce/dissolution decree.

Blood tests are not required, but couples are encouraged to fill out the application ahead of time.

To print a copy of the application, click here.

More Information: (760) 863-8732 or

Share your thoughts

Copyright © 2014 All rights reserved. Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice, and Ad Choices